Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Grandpa and Grandma

Grandma's fat
grandpa's drunk
probably got bodies
in his trunk
grandma cheats at soltiare
gramps says nothing
stares into the air
smoke drifts up
through his silver grey hair
looking out at things
that just aren't there

gramps drove his car
into the lake
grandma was home bakin' a cake
skeeter and woodtick
pulled gramps out
he didn't say nothing
as he drove away

Grandma sits in the kitchen
all afternoon
drinking pabst blue ribbon
cheatin' at cards
playing solitare
won't admit her life was hard

Gramps is so distant
never says much
but he'll
burn you with a ciggarette
just a touch
never been the same
since world war one
always grumpy as hell
likes a mean sort of fun

Grandma's fat
grandpa's drunk
probably got bodies in his trunk
grandma cheats at soltiare
gramps
says nothing
stares into the air
smoke drifts up
through his silver grey hair
looking at things
that just aren't there....
Got to thinking about my grandparents tonight while playing the banjo. These lyrics popped out. And every word is true.
My grandmother loved to play Solitare. And she did it while drinking most of a six pack alot of the afternoons of the last decade of her life, often swearing at the cards and cheating while baking a pineapple upside down cake.
Gramps was a very quiet guy who really would burn you with one of the Camel unfiltered smokes he had in his hand. He'd say things like "watch me blow smoke through my eyes", then when he had your complete 9 year old attention, he'd touch his smoke to your hand. I remember going and telling mom he burned me. She said something like "you leave him alone, quit bothering him.
He was a quiet drunk, although he did now and again pick on Grandma for being too fat. He died of stroke in the early 70's. I never once missed his company.
Grandma Gert lasted till about 1974, and I still think of her often. She and I had breakfast or lunch almost every day the last few years, she lived across from the High School and Grade School I and my mother went to, and was the cook there for over 20 years. I still miss her, although I wonder how she'd feel about me being a big old dyke if she was alive today. I hope she'd be cool with it.
It wouldn't matter to Grandpa. He never seemed to notice me unless I was bothering him.

No comments:

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis." Ralph Waldo Emerson