Friday, June 06, 2008

Sulu and his best man, Checkov


Reading this made me smile.

Pretty cool, although most folks under thirty don't remember the original Star Trek. I was glued to the TV every friday night from 1966 to 1968, falling in love with Science FIction in fourth or fifth grade, and have been addicted to the genre ever since.
It's funny, somebody writes some touch feely romance novel dressed up as important modern fiction, people get all woogly and snooty about it, but look down on Science Fiction because it's not serious enough.
I'll take a good SF novel any day over something pushed by Oprah's book club or The New York Times. We live in a world where Science Fiction can barely keep up with science, and most folks just plod along ignoring it.
Anyway:

"As previously reported, George Takei will wed his longtime partner in September - and has chosen his Star Trek co-star Walter Koenig as his best man. The 71-year-old star - known for his role as Sulu in the 1960s sci-fi series - will wed partner Brad Altman this summer, after California state authorities lifted the ban on same-sex marriage last month . Takei will marry his partner of 20 years on September 14th and has invited his former castmates to the ceremony. He tells People.com, “The best man is my colleague from Star Trek, Walter Koenig, who played Chekov, and the matron of honour is Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura). And Leonard Nimoy and his wife Susan are on the (guest) list.”
Takei hopes the ceremony will be more romantic than his proposal. He explains, “We knew that the Supreme Court was going to be coming down with their ruling. (We’d heard) that it was probably going to be positive. So I was planning on asking Brad to get married. “We were at home in the kitchen and we had the TV going, and when the word came down suddenly Brad got on his knees in front of me. And I said, ‘What are you doing?’ He said, ‘George, will you marry me?’ I said ‘Yes. You beat me to it. I meant to ask you.’”

1 comment:

Rev J D said...

rock on. thanks for this e.

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis." Ralph Waldo Emerson