Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Loud Band Packs It In.

As of last night, my electric band, The Sigourney Weavers, is on an extended break.
I think we're done. We agreed to check in in September, but the freakish and fun beast we made just can't get rolling with the other commitments others in the band have.
It makes me sad, because I found a lot of spastic monkey brained joy playing when we did. It got out on the edge in a fine way that no other musical arrangement any of us are in matches.
A band needs to practice more than every other week to gel into something with momentum, and we haven't been able to hit that mark.
Maybe we'll be back, in some different incarnation, but usually folks move on to other things.
I'd still love to do another Halloween Party at the former Wonder's Pub, but that seems like a long shot.
Bands are funny things. Sometimes they blow apart, sometimes they just melt away when nobody's looking. But when they work, they're worth every bit of shit one has to wade through.
Sure has been an fucked up week. I feel like loading up a backpack and walking up to Lake Superior and staying there till it snows.
Instead, I'll go try and dry out my shop and basment before it rains again.

1 comment:

M Big Mistake said...

My condolences.

I've always thought that being in bands is like dating a group of people at one time, with all the potential difficulties that would entail...different schedules, different needs, different levels of emotional investment, different power dynamics, and different lives moving in different directions sometimes. When you all move in one direction together, though, it's one of the coolest things that I know of.

SPB tried to implode a couple of weeks ago, but I think we rode it out and are all playing nice together again in the sandbox...until the next time somebody pisses somebody else off (I mean...until one of the boys pisses me off again). I actually said "fuck you" to Travis on stage and I'm pretty sure the mics picked it up. Bob would have fired me for that.

We're recording a cd this coming weekend...that's probably a good time to yell at each other again.

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis." Ralph Waldo Emerson