Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving



I sometimes think the human brain is like a giant thrashing machine. We dump loads of stuff into it, be it Jenifer Lopez videos or limericks or old phone numbers and odd little bits of semi-worthless knowledge, and sometime later it shakes out into something that might actually make some sense. Might be turned into art or some form of expression our screwed up human pool of knowledge might find some beauty or use for.
Sometimes I think I've trained myself to think in terms of guitar licks, flavors of coffee and beer, and smells like sawdust and garden dirt and peeled onions and garlic.
It's Thanksgiving day, one of the most hipocritical days we celebrate. I have ten people downstairs waiting for three or four more to show up so we can stuff our faces. I'm happy as a clam in clean mud.
Back to my tribe now. Happy dead turkey and opressive invader society day, everybody.

1 comment:

Bill Blondeau said...

Complicated day, Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday, but one culturally derived from a good-fellowship feast that broke up into open conflict not long after; and became the leading edge of continent-wide genocide. We are all the heirs of that feast.

So here's a Happy Thanksgiving blessing (from Addams Family Values, for those who care):

"Wait! We cannot break bread with you. You have taken the land which is rightfully ours. Years from now my people will be forced to live in mobile homes on reservations. Your people will wear cardigans, and drink highballs. We will sell our bracelets by the road sides, and you will play golf, and eat hot hors d'oeuvres. My people will have pain and degradation. Your people will have stick shifts. The gods of my tribe have spoken. They said do not trust the Pilgrims... And for all of these reasons I have decided to scalp you and burn your village to the ground."

But I am still very thankful for an awful lot... just putting the cog in cognitive dissonance.

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis." Ralph Waldo Emerson