Friday, November 09, 2007

Mom's Kitchen at Camp

Mom and my Great Aunt Kell in the Kitchen at Camp
sometime around 1986
Shot with a 4x5 view camera
I grew up at a summer camp, my parents were caretakers. I worked ten summers at camp, running the riding stable, helping out in the kitchen, doing odd jobs and falling off horses and breaking bones.
Mom stayed there for decades, cooking great meals from scratch for the kids who came up, kids from broken homes or real orphans who wound up at the Catholic orphanage who owned the land.
I learned how to cook for small armies of people by watching and helping mom. I find it hard to this day to cook for less than about ten people.
Aunt Kell's been dead for years, and the Catholic Church sold the camps to pay off child sex abuse lawsuits, so this funky old and beautiful kitchen and the two thousand acres or so of land that were mostly wild are now bulldozed over for rich bastard's playgrounds in George BushCo's Amerika, but for thirty plus years, it was an amazing place to find real food.
I really fuckin' hate corporate greed pigs, republicans and religions, they wind up screwing everybody over in their sick need for money, power and control.

No comments:

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis." Ralph Waldo Emerson