Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Stupid Bird or Messenger?


For three days, there's been a young robin oustide my upstairs window. It keeps flying into the window, falling to the ground, flying back to the branch next to the window, where it shakes it's shoulders, and then flies back into the window.
It does this about every two miniutes for an hour or two, then takes a break and starts over.
If I had a pole saw 15 feet long, I'd cut the limb it launches from off. I've stuck things on the glass to scare it away, I've blasted it with the garden hose, yelled at it, but still it keeps thwacking at my window over and over. Thwak! Thump, shake and repeat.
Maybe it's a message from the universe, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. I'm not sure I want to get the message if it is one.

3 comments:

TiG said...

Ellie, the american robin is commonly known as a harbinger of spring, so maybe Kat is coming over.

*grin*

Pam said...

Maybe Robin just wants to finish his bass amp. Try letting him in...He'll calm down eventually.

newbiegurl66 said...

I like your metaphor idea, although that leaves you in a rather cynical place. I mean, the robin could have represented something in you... either something you shouldn't give up on, or perhaps something you very well should as it's inherently futile.

Snapping off the branch was like hanging up the phone right when you were going to receive some intense epiphany of an "a-ha" message.

Then again, it's exactly what I would have done. Some folks are "the glass is half empty" types. Some are "the glass is half full" types. I'm more of a "Who the hell has been drinking out of my glass?!" type.

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis." Ralph Waldo Emerson